Today was our last socratic seminar.
Also, just as an FYI, some students who may not have been keeping up on their journals have requested a summary of the prompts thus far. I resist doing this, as I imagine your journals to be a far more fertile, thoughtful place than this, but alas, here we go:
- Just: What does the man in the JUST video say?
- School: What stands out to you as you read? Which pieces evoke the strongest response and why?
- Hills: What is the couple in “Hills Like White Elephants” discussing?
- Red Headed League: Stop reading before Holmes explains the case and try to explain it for yourself. What clues do you think Holmes will have noticed?
- OMM Ch 1: Identify any resonance with the Bible that you notice
- OMM Ch 2: Student directed prompt
- OMM Ch 3-6: Identify the things of merit and the areas of concern in the novel. Be as specific as possible.
- OMM Film: Identify some of the artistic choices the director is making and explain why that is effective or appropriate to the text.
- ASP Ch 1: Student directed prompt
- For each of ASP Ch 2-3, 4-5, 6-7, 8-10, 11-13: Socratic seminar. Students write one of each of four types of questions and build a case to answer the questions using Foster or evidence from the text.
- For each of Foster Ch. Intro, 1, 2, 5, 7, 9, 10, Interlude Does He Mean That, 11, 13, 14, 19, 20, 21 — Students write in response to a specific prompt in the DOAH.
Left side journaling should include:
- Notes from discussion that are relevant to what student wrote in the right side.
- Commentary on the quality of thought in the earlier journal entries.