Today I declared the END OF POETRY (until Task 5, third trimester).
We began looking toward Fahrenheit 451. In preparation, I asked you to read three short stories:
- There Will Come Soft Rains
- By the Waters of Babylon
- Harrison Burgeron
All three of these have a dystopic element to them that will help us in approaching Bradbury’s novel. In terms of journal prompts, I gave you these:
- What even precedes the story? How do you know?
- What does the poem have to do with the story?
- Who is the protagonist? Antagonist?
- Identify some similes/metaphors that Bradbury uses and make a theory as to why (what they contribute to the text)
- Using CLOSE READING and EVIDENCE from the text (i.e. Perrine’s theory), try to identify the places that the protagonist visits.
- What are the rules, roles and guiding principles of this society? You’ll need to construct these based on the actions and events of the story rather than from direct exposition.