Today we’ll talk about Act I. I’m particularly interested in addressing…
- The role of the moon in the opening speeches of Theseus/Hippolyta, not to mention the role of night/moon in I.i more generally; may be helpful to think of “Theseus’s moon” and “the lovers’ moon”
- The various definitions of love (Theseus, Lysander/Hermia (after duet), Helena (“How happy some…”))
- Directing–who does it, when, why and how effective is it?
- Compare/contrast the two duets (Lysander/Hermia and Hermia/Helena)
- Helena’s monologue “Call you me fair?”
- The role of the night/moon/dreams motif in I.i
- The role of eyes/seeing in I.i
- Characterization of Bottom and Quince in I.ii
Tomorrow is a reading day for Act II.
A BIG Peek ahead:
- Monday – Writing day, including some direct instruction on turning your proposals into papers
- Tuesday – Discuss Act II
- Wednesday – Reading day Act III
- Thursday – Discuss Act III
- Friday – Reading Day Acts IV and V
- Monday 4/14 – Writing Day
- Tuesday – Discuss Acts IV and V
- Wednesday – choose/cast scenes & begin rehearsals….
- 4/16-5/7 – Rehearsals & performances