At some point during these two days, we will do all three things mentioned in the title of this post, but it will vary based on when Guidance scheduled us in the lab.
1. A typical writing day. On that day, I will give you two new, hopefully helpful handouts: (a) The Fine Art of Punctuating Dialogue and (b) Three Sophomore Samples of the memoir assignment. This will hopefully give you an idea of what you’re aiming for. A warning about plagiarism should be pasted on every sample I give you, but this will have to suffice.
2. “I Have a Plan” with Guidance in the labs.
3. Reading Like a Writer Day 4 – Today I’ll ask you to read through some excerpts from Brown Girl Dreaming and Dear Boy. Then I’ll ask you to make two lists:
- A list of what the writer GAINS from writing in poetry/letter form. Identify 4-5 specific things WITH EXAMPLES from the selection.
- A list of what the writer LOSES from writing in poetry/letter form. Identify 4-5 specific things WITH EXAMPLES from the selection.